Cedar and Yellow PointSouth of downtown along the Nanaimo River where it meets the ocean, Cedar is a quiet, mostly rural community with a mix of high-end oceanfront properties and more modest homes. Country roads meander between farms and artisan studios and into a small retail area with shops, services and restaurants.
There are plenty of spaces for outdoor recreation in the Cedar area, only about a 10-minute drive from downtown. Several parks offer forested trails and ocean views. Residents also enjoy swimming, fishing and watching salmon spawn on the Nanaimo River. The Cedar Farmer’s Market, with more than 70 vendors, draws big crowds each Sunday from Mother’s Day through October.
- Cedar Elementary School
- Cedar Secondary School
- Nanaimo River Estuary – swimming, fishing, salmon spawning in fall
- Biggs & Jack Point Park – 2.5km trail overlooking the ocean
- Cable Bay Trail – 2km dog off-leash trail through forest to narrow ocean pass
- Hemer Provincial Park – 11km trail network in forested park around lake
- Roberts Memorial Provincial Park – 1km forested trail to sandstone beach
- Wheatsheaf Sports Complex – softball fields and clubhouse
- Cedar Rd. – grocery, cafés, pubs, bank, church, tires
- Southgate Shopping Centre – Country Grocer
- Emerald Medical Clinic
- Library – downtown branch
- Hospital: 16 min.
- Downtown: 11 min.
- North end: 28 min.
- Vancouver Island University: 12 min.
- Nanaimo Airport: 11 min.