Central NanaimoAlso known as the “hospital area,” this central district surrounding Nanaimo Regional General Hospital is about midway between downtown and the city’s north end. The neighbourhood, one of the more affordable in Nanaimo, includes a mix of older homes, newer condos and high-rise apartments.
Central Nanaimo residents appreciate close proximity to two of Nanaimo’s most popular parks: Bowen and Beban. Convenience is also a big draw, as a multitude of shops, services and restaurants line Bowen Road here. Dufferin Crescent intersects the area and is the city’s hub for medical offices and care facilities.
- Brechin Elementary
- Cilaire Elementary
- Forest Park Elementary
- Quarterway Elementary (French immersion)
- Pauline Haarar Elementary (French immersion)
- Nanaimo District Secondary School (French immersion; academies – hockey, soccer, lacrosse & beach volleyball)
Parks & Recreation
- Beban Park – indoor pool/fitness centre, sports fields & ice arena
- Bowen Park – waterfall, trails, outdoor pool, lawn bowling & programs
- Beaufort Park – tennis, trails, dog off-leash area
- Mansfield Park – sports field, playground & splash park
- Beach Estates Park – ravine, waterfall & trails
- Pryde Vista Golf Course (public)
Shops & Services
- Brooks Landing Shopping Centre – Home Hardware, Staples, Save On Foods
- Terminal Park Mall – bakery, meat store, health food store, fish market
- Bowen Road – shops, services & restaurants
- Caledonian Medical Clinic
- Library – downtown branch
- Hospital: 1 min.
- Downtown: 8 min.
- North end: 13 min.
- South end: 11 min.
- Vancouver Island University: 8 min.
- Nanaimo Airport: 18 min.