Old CityIn the heart of Nanaimo just up the hill from the downtown core lies some of the most coveted real estate in town. The historic Old City’s restored craftsman bungalow homes sit among neighbourhood parks at the edge of the Old City Quarter, a retail district with specialty shops and restaurants in heritage buildings.
The neighbourhood comes together each year for improvement projects and a spring farm fair where residents sell vegetable starts and enjoy live music and food. All types of recreational pursuits are nearby – from strolling the waterfront to hiking forest trails at Bowen Park or skating at the Nanaimo Ice Centre.
- Pauline Haarer Elementary (French immersion)
- Fairview Elementary
- Nanaimo District Secondary School (French immersion; academies – hockey, lacrosse, soccer & beach volleyball)
Parks & Recreation
- Harbourfront Walkway – paved path along downtown waterfront
- Maffeo Sutton Park – concert venue, swimming lagoon, playground
- Newcastle Island Provincial Park – passenger ferry from downtown
- Bowen Park – outdoor pool, disc golf, waterfall, hiking trails, sand volleyball
- Nanaimo Aquatic Centre – waterslides, wave pool, steam room, sauna, fitness centre
- Nanaimo Ice Centre – league play and public skating
Shops & Services
- Port Place Shopping Centre – Thrifty Foods, London Drugs
- Wesley St. boutiques & restaurants
- Commercial St. boutiques & restaurants
- Caledonian Medical Clinic
- Medical Arts Centre
- Library – downtown branch
- Hospital: 9 min.
- South end: 11 min.
- North end: 12 min.
- Vancouver Island University: 9 min.
- Nanaimo Airport: 19 min.