South JinglepotSome of Nanaimo’s best-known and most-loved countryside is along Jingle Pot Road, particularly the south section. At the foot of Mt. Benson the road curves between patches of farmland, horse stables, B&Bs, homes with sprawling acreage, and a couple new subdivisions.
Hikes to the summit of Mt. Benson begin here, traversing switchbacks and passing waterfalls on trails that climb up to breathtaking views above the city and beyond. South Jingle Pot’s Westwood Lake is a popular spot for jogging, mountain biking and swimming. Kids love the nearby aquatic centre and ice centre. Shopping and services are easily accessed in University Village or on Bowen Road.
- Mountain View Elementary
- Nanaimo District Secondary School (French immersion; academies – hockey, lacrosse, soccer & beach volleyball)
Parks & Recreation
- Westwood Lake – swimming, fishing, mountain biking, jogging trail
- Mt. Benson Regional Park – trails climb to the summit of the local mountain
- Parkway Trail – paved trail parallels Hwy. 19
- Benson Creek Regional Park – forested trails to Ammonite Falls
- Nanaimo Aquatic Centre – pools, steam room, sauna, fitness centre
- Nanaimo Ice Centre – league play and public skating
- Buttertubs Marsh Park – birdwatching & loop trail
Shops & Services
- University Village – Quality Foods, Shoppers Drug Mart
- Bowen Road shops & restaurants
- Caledonian Medical Clinic
- Library – downtown branch
- Hospital: 6 min.
- Downtown: 12 min.
- North end: 14 min.
- Vancouver Island University: 7 min.
- Nanaimo Airport: 16 min.