South NanaimoJust south of the University District and downtown, this neighbourhood’s homes range from old miners’ cabins to Victorian homes with ocean views to pockets of newer subdivisions. It’s an emerging area with some good investment properties that are still affordable.
Residents say South Nanaimo is characterized by creativity and a front-porch sense of community with people greeting each other when they pass on the street. From this neighbourhood, residents can walk or bike to downtown or the Harbourfront Walkway. Several parks and shopping centres are conveniently located.
- Park Avenue Elementary
- Pauline Haarer Elementary (French immersion)
- Bayview Elementary
- Georgia Avenue Elementary
- John Barsby Secondary School
- Nanaimo District Secondary School (French immersion; academies – hockey, lacrosse, soccer & beach volleyball)
Parks & Recreation
- Harewood Centennial Park – splash park, sports fields & tennis
- Colliery Dam Park – swimming hole & paved trails
- Morrell Nature Sanctuary – trails link to Westwood Lake Park
- Petroglyph Provincial Park – prehistoric rock carvings along a trail
- Deverill Square Park – splash park & playground
Shops & Services
- University Village Mall – Quality Foods & Shoppers Drug Mart
- Southgate Shopping Centre – Country Grocer
- Port Place Shopping Centre – Thrifty Foods & London Drugs
- Library – downtown branch
- Hospital: 11 min.
- Downtown: 6 min.
- North end: 23 min.
- Vancouver Island University: 5 min.
- Nanaimo Airport: 14 min.