University DistrictAlso known as “Harewood,” this neighbourhood centered around University Village Mall lies between Vancouver Island University and downtown. There’s a strong spirit of community in the area, which is made up of students and families living in affordable apartments and modest homes that range from 1920s bungalows to split-levels.
The University District is within walking distance of the university and only a few minutes’ drive or bus ride from the downtown waterfront’s shops and restaurants. Staying active is convenient with the aquatic centre, ice centre and several parks with hiking trails nearby.
- Georgia Avenue Elementary
- Fairview Elementary
- John Barsby Secondary School
- Nanaimo District Secondary School (French immersion; academies – hockey, lacrosse, soccer & beach volleyball)
Parks & Recreation
- Bowen Park – waterfall, trails, outdoor pool, lawn bowling & programs
- Nanaimo Aquatic Centre
- Nanaimo Ice Centre
- Colliery Dam Park – swimming hole & paved trails
- Morrell Nature Sanctuary – trails link to Westwood Lake Park
- Buttertubs Marsh Park – birdwatching & loop trail
- Pryde Vista Golf Course (public)
Shops & Services
- University Village Mall – Quality Foods, Starbucks, & Shoppers Drug Mart
- Caledonian Medical Clinic
- Library – downtown branch
- Hospital: 9 min.
- Downtown: 6 min.
- North end: 15 min.
- Vancouver Island University: 2 min.
- Nanaimo Airport: 15 min.